Notifications in Brightspace Pulse
Brightspace Pulse provides learners with notifications that offer them tips and keep them informed about course-related news, updates, and grades. These notifications display in the Notifications tab in Brightspace Pulse.
Note: After logging in for the first time, course updates do not appear until new updates are created in Brightspace Learning Environment.
When users log in to Brightspace Pulse for the first time, introductory notifications appear. Each notification provides a tip on how Brightspace Pulse can keep learners informed of the latest grades and announcements for their courses.
Introductory notifications are always on and cannot be turned off.
To keep learners up to date with course content, Brightspace Pulse sends notifications when course content is created or updated in Brightspace Learning Environment.
The d2l.Tools.Content.AllowCreationNotifications configuration variable notifies users about new content. By default:
- System Value is enabled and requires D2L Support to disable it.
- Org Value is not set. System administrators can set this value to override the system value for the current org.
Course content updates only appear in Brightspace Pulse and Brightspace Learning Environment if the instructor selects the Notify students that the content has changed option for the updated content in Brightspace Learning Environment. This option provides updates for the classic Content experience only; notifications are not sent for the new Content experience (Lessons).
When content is added or updated using the Brightspace APIs, developers can choose to send the same notifications that are sent when content is added or updated through Brightspace Learning Environment. These notifications appear in Brightspace Learning Environment and Brightspace Pulse.
This functionality requires a system administrator to set the following role permissions:
- Content > Create and Edit Modules and Topics
- Notifications > Receive Instant Notifications
- Notifications > Receive Digest Notifications
Use the Brightspace APIs to add or modify a content topic, setting the parameter to send a notification as part of the addition or change.
For detailed information about setting parameters, see the Brightspace API documentation.
If the Activity Feed widget is enabled in a learner’s enrolled courses, Brightspace Pulse displays Activity Feed notifications to keep learners up to date on course activity.
When an instructor adds or updates the Course Overview document in Brightspace Learning Environment, learners receive notifications in Brightspace Pulse and Brightspace Learning Environment.
Note the following:
- The Course Overview document is stored in the Content tool in Brightspace Learning Environment. The document does not appear in the module/topic hierarchy in the table of contents.
- The Feed Service accepts Course Overview updates, but is not dependent on them. The service functions normally with Brightspace instances that do not have this feature.
The d2l.Tools.Content.AllowOverviewNotifications configuration variable notifies users about new or updated Course Overview documents. By default:
- System Value is enabled and can only be disabled by D2L Support.
- Org Value is enabled. System administrators can set this value to override the system value for the current org.
In Brightspace Learning Environment, learners can then optionally choose to receive instant notifications via email or text message when the Course Overview document is updated.
When an instructor wants to communicate changes to course updates, information, and reminders via course announcements, learners receive a course announcement notification in Brightspace Pulse.
From the Announcements tool, an instructor creates or updates the announcement, selects the Major edit - send a notification and restore it for those who dismissed it option, and then clicks Update.
When an instructor enters grades, learners receive grade notifications in Brightspace Pulse.
From a grade book, an instructor enters the learner's grade, sending a notification to the learner in Brightspace Learning Environment and Brightspace Pulse.