View course progress against learning outcomes
To view a learner's progress against learning outcomes in a course, the Class Progress tool includes a Standards tab. This tab displays a history of the learner's submissions and assessments against all learning outcomes aligned to activities in the course.
Note: The language term used to describe learning outcomes depends on the value set for the d2l.Languages.Terminology.LearningOutcomes configuration variable. For example, the Standards link in Course Administration might be labeled Competencies, Expectations, Objectives, or Learning Outcomes. In this topic, the configuration variable in tasks and screen captures is set to Learning Outcomes.
For instructors, this enables them to:
- View all the learning outcomes that are aligned to assessment activities in the course, so that they can understand the learning outcomes that their learners are expected to demonstrate.
- View each learner's current assessment against each learning outcome, so that they can alter or individualize instruction, based on the learner's performance.
- View a list of all the evidence that has been assessed for a specific learning outcome, so that they can quickly familiarize themselves with feedback they provided for assessments.
For learners, this enables them to:
- View all the learning outcomes that are aligned to activities in the course, so that they can understand all the learning outcomes they are expected to demonstrate in the course.
- View their current assessment against each outcome, so that they can understand their progress against each learning outcome.
- View a list of all the feedback their instructor has provided for a specific learning outcome so that they can understand where they might need to make more effort. If an instructor has offered feedback for a hidden rubric, that feedback appears in the Overall Feedback section in the Grades or Assignments tool. The rubric criterion title and description appear above each feedback item.
Note: Feedback copied from hidden rubrics only displays for learners; it is not visible to instructors as they have access to the rubric.
- If the organization has provided the ability for learners to view outcomes aligned with quizzes, learners can see if more than one attempt was made, and the results for each attempt.
To view progress against learning outcomes:
- Do one of the following:
- If you are an instructor, navigate to Class Progress and select a learner to view.
- If you are a learner, navigate to User Progress.
- Click Standards. The overview for the course lists all the learning outcomes that are aligned to activities in the course, with a mini-visualization of the last few assessments made for the learner against each learning outcome.
- Click a learning outcome to display the Learning Outcomes Progress page, which provides a list of learner-submitted evidence related to the selected learning outcome. It also displays a timeline showing the comparative evaluation levels for each evidence item and a summary of feedback given on each activity. The Trend section displays a trend visualization of assessments. The Evidence section displays a list of all the activities that have been assessed.
- Click an individual assessed learning outcome to view more specific details about the assessment.
Figure: Clicking a learning outcome displays the feedback and assessment area for the outcome.
Figure: The bottom of the details page contains feedback, achievement scales, and the assignment submission.