Create an individual user
When you create users, Brightspace Learning Environment automatically enrolls them in the top-level organization. After that, you can enroll them in any other org unit by assigning them a role in that org unit.
Since permissions are associated with roles, assigning a user a role in an org unit determines that user’s permission settings for the org unit.
Unless a user’s role is defined as cascading in the Roles and Permissions tool, enrollment in an org unit applies only to the specified org unit and does not include any org units beneath it. For example, if you enroll a user in the English Department org unit, this does not give them access to any of the course offerings in that department unless their role is cascading.
To protect the privacy of enrolled learners, administrators can also define preferred names that are distinct from legal names. For example, a transgender user with a different first name or a user commonly known by their middle name. Once set, the user's preferred name appears everywhere in Brightspace Learning Environment, in place of the legal name. To view and modify preferred names, site administrators must grant the User Information Privacy > Distinguish Preferred Names from Legal Names permission at the organization level to other administrators. The ability to edit user information is controlled by existing Manage Users permissions. For more information, see Preferred names.
- From the Admin Tools menu, click Users > New User.
- In the fields that appear on the screen, enter an org defined ID, legal first name, preferred first name (optional), middle name, legal last name, preferred last name (optional), and email address for the user.
- From the Role drop-down list, choose a role. If you select a cascading role, the user is enrolled with that role in all org units in the organization.
- Type a username for the user based on user naming conventions (if applicable) at your organization. If you leave the Username field blank, the system creates the username as firstname.lastname. If the username is taken, the system adds a number to the user’s first name: firstname###.lastname. Do not include the following characters in usernames: \ / : * ? “ < > | ‘ , ; ( ) [ ]
- If you select the Manually set password check box, you should also select the Force password change on login check box. If you don’t type a password the system assigns a seven-character alpha-numeric one by default.
- To activate the user, select the Make user active check box.
- Click Save.
Note: To edit a user's notification number:
Select the Country and respective Mobile Carrier.
Update the Mobile Number.