Create written response questions
To create written response questions
Written response (WR) questions require respondents to write detailed answers in response to open-ended questions. You can enable users to respond in multiple sentences, paragraph answers, or mathematical explanations and calculations. Users can also respond in HTML code.
Note: HTML code is sometimes stripped from saved written responses if a learner refreshes the page while taking the quiz. As a best practice, encourage users to save a version of their HTML response locally in case they need to refresh the page.
Written response questions are not auto-graded.
- In the Question Library, click New, then click Written Response (WR).
- In the Question Text field, enter your written response question details.
- If you want learners to be able to format their answer, select the Enable HTML Editor for learner responses check box.
- In the Default Points field, enter the points learners will receive for answering the whole question correctly.
- From the Options drop-down list, do one of the following:
- To add feedback for the answer, select Add Feedback.
- To add a hint to the question, select Add Hint.
- To add a short description to the question, select Add Short Description.
- To add an answer key to assist evaluators in their marking, select Add Answer Key.
- To add a custom size to the response box, select Add Custom Response Box Size.
- To verify your question, click Preview.
- Click Save.
The Initial Text field is available for Written Response questions. To add Initial Text to Written Response questions:
- In the Question Library, click New, and from the dropdown menu select Written Response (WR).
- Click Options, and from the dropdown menu select Add Initial Text.
- Enter the desired initial text in the Initial Text (for student responses) field, then click Save.