Set up self-enrollment in groups
Self-enrollment allows users to enroll in groups on their own. Use this option when you want users to choose their own group members or to be a part of a group on a topic that interests them.
Important: Groups have a maximum enrollment of 200 users. If there are more than 200 users in a course, you can create new group categories; there is no limit on the number of group categories in a course.
Users can self-enroll in groups by clicking the Choose Group link beside the name of a group category set up for self-enrollment. A link displays at the top of the user’s Groups page when self-enrollment is available. By default, users cannot self-enroll in more than one group. Instructors can add users to other groups at any time.
If a group is full, the Members column displays the total number of group members in red with "(Full)" beside it. If a learner wants to leave a group that they self-enrolled in before the date and time specified by the Set Self Enrollment Expiry Date option (if selected), on the My Groups page, learners can click Leave Group if the option is configured.
Clicking the capacity marker or the total listed in the Members column opens the Group Members pop-up, which contains a list of current group members. You cannot click empty groups.
- On the Manage Groups page, click New Category.
- Enter a Category Name and Description.
- Select one of the following options from the Enrollment Type drop-down list:
- Groups of # - Self Enrollment
- # of Groups - Self Enrollment
- # of Groups, Capacity of # - Self Enrollment
- Depending on the chosen Enrollment Type, enter the Number of Groups to create, the Number of Users per group, or both.
- To control self-enrollment availability dates, select the Set Self Enrollment Start Date and/or Set Self Enrollment Expiry Date check boxes and select dates and times from the mini calendar field.
- To associate discussion areas with the groups in the category, select Set up discussion areas.
- To associate locker areas with the groups in the category, select Set up lockers.
- To associate assignments with the groups in the category, select Set up assignments.
- Click Save.