Create a group
Important: Groups have a maximum enrollment of 200 users. If there are more than 200 users in a course, you can create new group categories; there is no limit on the number of group categories in a course.
- On the navbar, click Groups.
- On the Manage Groups page, from the View Categories drop-down list, select the category you want to add a group to.
- From the context menu of the category, click Add Group.
- If you do not want to use the default name provided, enter a group name.
- If you do not want to use the default group code provided, enter a group code.
- Enter a description for the group.
- Click Save.
After clicking Save, the Groups tool displays the category and provides you with a prompt that your group, or groups, are being created in the background and that you will be notified once the group, or groups, are created. This notification appears as an update alert in the minibar that indicates that the group, or groups, have been created.
While this is in process, Brightspace indicates that "Group creation is in progress". While processing, you are unable to make changes to groups or enrollments.
Note: You can also copy existing groups using the Copy Courses workflow. The asynchronous creation executes behind the scenes and doesn't block other course copy items from completing. You can check your group creation status in the Groups tool. The copy history log reports that the group creation process has started. The completion status is notified via an update alert.