Best practices for setting up groups
- Groups have a maximum enrollment of 200 users. If there are more than 200 users in a course, you can create new group categories; there is no limit on the number of group categories in a course.
- If you want users to see all users and content for a course but be a part of a group for a specific project or activity, use the Groups tool. However, if you want users to only see learning materials and users from their own section, use the Sections tool.
- To organize users' work on projects and assignments or to create special work areas for users with different learning needs, use the Groups tool.
- Users can belong to multiple groups within the same course, but cannot self-enroll in more than one group. Instructors can add users to other groups at any time.
- For each group, create separate discussion forums, assignments, and Locker areas to work in.
- Grade members of groups individually or as a team.
- Before setting up groups, know how you want to organize them. The following factors can affect how users enroll in groups:
- Setting groups up before or after you've enrolled users.
- Enabling auto-enrollment in groups.
- Enabling randomization of users in groups.
- Enabling self-enrollment in groups.
- The Enrollment Type you choose.
- Set up groups after the majority of users enroll in your course. This gives you a better idea of how many users you are organizing and how many groups you need. Setting up groups after enrollment can also ensure better distribution of users between groups.
- For users to enroll in groups automatically, the Can be auto enrolled into groups permission must be enabled. Contact your site administrator if you experience difficulties.
When you create a new group category via API, you will get a 202 Accepted response code that indicates your request was submitted and is currently being processed. Any API that acts against the group category while it's processing will give a 409 Conflict status to indicate that the action cannot be completed because the group category is not finished processing.