Create formula grade items
Use formula grade items to automatically grade users using a custom formula based on achievements in other grade items.
The following limitations apply to formula grade items: Formula grade items cannot belong to a category; you must create all of the grade items you want to include in the formula grade item before you create the formula item; and Formula grade items do not contribute to the calculated final grade in a points-based or weighted-based grade book. You can only calculate the final grade with formula grade items using the Formula grading system.
Note that you cannot associate formula grade items with course objects such as discussions, quizzes, and assignments. Only numeric grade items can be associated with course objects.
- On the navbar, click Grades.
- On the Manage Grades page, from the New button, click Item > Formula.
- In the General area, enter your grade item details.
- In the Grading area, enter the Maximum Points for the grade item. Then, do any of the following:
- To define the formula for your grade item, click the Edit Using the Formula Editor link. In the Formula Editor window, enter your formula and click Insert.
- If you want users' grades to be able to exceed the maximum points specified for the item, select the Can Exceed check box.
- From the Grade Scheme drop-down list, select a grading scheme for your grade item.
- To attach a rubric to the grade item, click Add Rubric.
- In the Display Options area, select how you want the Learner View and Managing View for the grade item to appear.
- To associate a learning objective with the grade item, click the Objectives tab, and then Associate Learning Objectives.
- Click Save and Close.