Lock a discussion forum or topic
Important: For the August 2021/20.21.8 release, your administrator can choose to opt-in to a new workflow that makes it easier for you to set visibility and posting restrictions for discussion forums and topics. If your administrator turns on the new workflow, Locking Options are consolidated with the Availability Start Date and End Date options. For more information on these changes, see the Changes To Availability And Locking Dates For A Consolidated Dates Workflow blog post.
- On the navbar, click Discussions.
- From the context menu of the forum or topic you want to lock, click Edit.
- On the Restrictions tab, choose your Locking Options.
Note: If the new workflow for setting availability and posting restrictions is enabled, set the following options:
- Visible with access restricted before start/end. The forum or topic is visible to learners before or after the start or end date, but they cannot access it.
- Visible with submission restricted before start/end. The forum or topic is visible to learners before or after the start or end date and they can access it, but they cannot post new threads or replies. This effectively makes a discussion read-only.
- Hidden before start/end. The forum or topic is hidden from learners until the start or end date. Calendar events for Availability Start and Availability End are hidden until the start or end date. Notifications are also not sent until the start or end date.
- Click Save.