Configure Discover enrollment logs to track user self-enrollment in courses
To allow instructors to track which users are self-enrolling in courses using Discover, administrators can optionally configure enrollment logs to record Discover (or a custom name) as the Enrolled By type. If administrators choose not to configure enrollment logs, D2LSupport is recorded by default.
To configure enrollment logs, administrators create a new service user role with specific enrollment permissions, and then set the d2l.System.Enrollment.DiscoverUserId configuration variable.
Note: If you are using Discover with Manager Dashboard and Learning Groups, the enrollment permissions added to the service user role should apply to the corresponding role configured in Manager Dashboard and Learning Groups, instead of the role identified in the d2l.System.Enrollment.LearnerRole configuration variable.
From the Users tool, instructors can then view which users are self-enrolling in course using Discover.
- From the Admin Tools menu, select Roles and Permission.
- Click Create and create a new role, for example, Discover or Self-Enrolled. This new role acts as a service user ID, which is then specified in the new configuration variable. The new role requires the following permissions:
- Users > View User Enrollments at the course offering level.
- Users > Search for <Role> at the course offering level (<Role> is the same role that the learner will be enrolled as, also known as the Learner role).
- Users > Enroll <Role> at the course offering level (<Role> is the same role that the learner will be enrolled as, also known as the Learner role).
Note: The role assigned to the new Discover user should be a cascading role.
- From the Admin Tools menu, select Config Variable Browser.
- To store the new role's user ID, edit the d2l.System.Enrollment.DiscoverUserId configuration variable and add the new role. The value specified is used as the assignedBy user ID, which displays as the Enrolled By type in enrollment logs.