Create an assignment using the new create and edit Assignment experience
The create and edit Assignments page has a fully immersive page layout. This layout is consistent with other areas of Brightspace Learning Environment, including Assignments, Content, and Lessons, where you can upload and create a new assignment. For the purposes of this topic, we are using the create and edit Assignment experience in the Assignments tool.
To create an assignment:
- On the navbar, click Assignments.
- On the Assignments page, click New Assignment.
- Enter a Name for the assignment.
- Enter a Score Out of. The grade item is automatically added to your gradebook.
- Set a Due Date.
- Enter assignment instructions.
- Add any attachments, audio, or video notes.
- Expand Availability Dates & Conditions.
- Set a Start Date and an End Date.
Note: when you collapse Expand Availability Dates & Conditions, the summary text displays the selected start and end date information.
- Expand Submission & Completion.
- For the Assignment Type, specify if this is an Individual Assignment or Group Assignment.
Note: You must have groups set up in your course to set an assignment as a group assignment.
- Select a Submission Type:
- For File submissions, set the number of Files Allowed Per Submission and the Submissions rules.
- For Text submissions, set the Submission rules.
- For On paper submissions, set Marked as completed to one of the available options: Manually by learners, Automatically on evaluation, or Automatically on due date.
- For Observed in person assignments, set Marked as completed to one of the available options: Manually by learners, Automatically on evaluation, or Automatically on due date.
Note: When you collapse Submission & Completion, the summary text displays your selection.
- Expand Evaluation & Feedback.
- Click Add rubric and either create and attach a new rubric or add an existing one.
Note: If you are attaching multiple rubrics, from the Default Scoring Rubric drop-down list, select the rubric to be used by default when scoring.
- To display annotation tools in the document viewer, under Annotation Tools, select the Make annotation tools available for assessment check box.
- To enable anonymous marking, under Anonymous Marking, select the Hide student names during assessment check box.
- Under Turnitin Integration, click Manage Turnitin.
- Enable the Turnitin integration and click Save.
- Associate a learning objective.
- Click Manage Learning Objectives.
- Click Associate Learning Objectives.
- Select the learning objective you want to add and then click Add Selected.
- If required, associate an assessment to the learning objective.
- On the context menu of the associated learning objective, select Add Assessment.
- Select an existing rubric or create a new rubric.
- Select the rubric criteria and specify if the assessment activity is required to complete the learning objective.
- Click Save.
- Click Close.
- Click Save and Close.
Note: Manage Learning Objectives only appears when the Competencies tool is enabled and the course is not using the Learning Outcomes tool.