Create an assignment using the new create and edit Assignment experience
The create and edit Assignments page has a fully immersive page layout. This layout is consistent with other areas of Brightspace Learning Environment, including Assignments, Content, and Lessons, where you can upload and create a new assignment. For the purposes of this topic, we are using the create and edit Assignment experience in the Assignments tool.
To save your progress when creating or editing an assignment, click Save.
To create an assignment:
- On the navbar, click Assignments.
- On the Assignments page, click New Assignment.
- Enter a Name for the assignment.
- Enter a Score Out of. The grade item is automatically added to your gradebook.
- Set a Due Date.
Note: The default Due Date time is set to 11:59pm.
- Enter assignment instructions.
- Add any attachments, audio, or video notes.
- Expand Availability Dates & Conditions.
- Set a Start Date and an End Date. When you collapse Expand Availability Dates & Conditions, the summary text displays the selected start and end date information.
Note: The default time for an assignment Start Date is set to 12:00am. The default End Date time is set to 11:59pm.
- Expand Submission & Completion.
- For the Assignment Type, specify if this is an Individual Assignment or Group Assignment.
Note: You must have groups set up in your course to set an assignment as a group assignment.
- Select a Submission Type:
- For File submissions, set the number of Files Allowed Per Submission and the Submissions rules.
- For Text submissions, set the Submission rules.
- For On paper submissions, set Marked as completed to one of the available options: Manually by learners, Automatically on evaluation, or Automatically on due date.
- For Observed in person assignments, set Marked as completed to one of the available options: Manually by learners, Automatically on evaluation, or Automatically on due date.
Note: When you collapse Submission & Completion, the summary text displays your selection.
- To receive email notifications when an assignment is submitted, under Notification Email, enter an email address or multiple email addresses separated by a comma.
Note: This field is only available when the assignment Submission Type is set to File submissions or Text submissions.
- Expand Evaluation & Feedback.
- Click Add rubric and either create and attach a new rubric or add an existing one.
Note: If you are attaching multiple rubrics, from the Default Scoring Rubric drop-down list, select the rubric to be used by default when scoring.
- To display annotation tools in the document viewer, under Annotation Tools, select the Make annotation tools available for assessment check box.
- To enable anonymous marking, under Anonymous Marking, select the Hide student names during assessment check box.
- Under Turnitin Integration, click Manage Turnitin.
- Enable the Turnitin integration and click Save.
- Associate a learning objective.
- Click Manage Learning Objectives.
- Click Associate Learning Objectives.
- Select the learning objective you want to add and then click Add Selected.
- If required, associate an assessment to the learning objective.
- On the context menu of the associated learning objective, select Add Assessment.
- Select an existing rubric or create a new rubric.
- Select the rubric criteria and specify if the assessment activity is required to complete the learning objective.
- Click Save.
- Click Close.
- Click Save and Close.
Note: Manage Learning Objectives only appears when the Competencies tool is enabled and the course is not using the Learning Outcomes tool.