About D2L Standard CSV
Purpose of this document
This document details the configuration, requirements, and recommendations for implementing the D2L Standard CSV integration with your Student Information System (SIS) or Human Resources Information System (HRIS). It will provide file formats and required fields.
D2L Standard CSV allows you to integrate your Information System (HRIS, SIS, etc.) with the Brightspace Learning Environment by providing course and registration details through simple, easy to construct text files in a comma separated values format (csv).
The files that are required for D2L Standard CSV are text files saved in a comma separated values (csv) format. Generating content for these files will require access to extract data from your SIS/HRIS system. Some SIS/HRIS systems provide you with data export mechanisms which should be used as per your vendor instructions.
We recommend that you contact your information system and seek guidance on best practices for extracting the required data into the required csv file format.
- CSV File – A text-based file that approximates a table of data through the use of commas to separate columns. In such files, a value in any one column must not have a comma as part of the text.
- Integration Pack for Student Information Systems (IPSIS) – Enables integrations between Systems (i.e. Student Information Systems, Learner Information Systems, and Human Resource Systems) and Brightspace.
- SSH File Transfer Protocol (SFTP) – A method of uploading or downloading files to a server through an encrypted channel. You will be provided with the credentials you’re your integration has been created.
- Student Information System (SIS) – A software tool used by educational organizations to manage students, courses, and enrollments.
- Human Resource Information System (HRIS) - A software tool used by corporate organizations to manage employees and their data.
- Org Unit – The standard building block of Brightspace. OrgUnits are organized into an Org Structure, and can be multiple Org Unit Types (for example, Department, Semester, or Course Offering). Each Org Unit has an Org Unit Code used to identify it between IPSIS and your SIS.
- Manifest - a JSON file that announces the version of D2L Standard CSV
- After you have work with your D2L Implementation Consultant, D2L Standard CSV is a self-serve tool where you create the files and transfer them to Brightspace.
- This document describes the required format of each file for use with both SFTP and Drag-and-Drop .
- This document describes the results of each action or command you send in the CSV files
- CSV files must be UTF-8 encoded.
- CSV files should contain differential SIS data (deltas) rather than complete SIS data drops.
- CSV files along with the manifest must be in a zip archive.