Recommended permissions setup
When creating an ideal operating state for user permissions, consider the following:
- Instructors do not require full manage permission permissions for links, even at the course level
- Administrators are the only users that can manage both LTI links AND tool providers
- Instructors create and insert LTI objects into course content
- Instructors should only be permitted to create links from vendors trusted by the institution (a trusted vendor indicates an administrator to create a Registration, Deployment, or Tool Provider for the integration)
- Learners typically only require launch permissions (and should never have the Manage External Learning Tool Links permission for any reason, as this can create numerous unmetered LTI links)
- If required, learners can be enabled to create LTI links, using the Create External Learning Tool Links from available External Learning Tool Providers permission, from trusted vendors.