Learning Tools Interoperability® (LTI®) allows Brightspace to easily and securely connect with both third party and your own organizations learning tools. The connection supports context-passing from Brightspace to the tool so that the user experience is based on the role of that user (learner compared to instructor) and the course where they launched the tool from (Biology versus Creative Writing). In addition to authenticating the user into the tool, LTI 1.1 and higher support basic grade return from your LTI tool to Brightspace gradebook.
LTI Advantage is the next iteration of LTI, consisting of a new launch protocol and a package of optional extensions:
- Launch: The LTI 1.3 core launch flow follows a more modern security approach by adopting OpenId Connect (OIDC) specifications, OAuth2 and JSON Web Tokens.
- Assignment and Grades Services v2.0 (AGS): A replacement for the Basic Outcome service. AGS allows the LTI tool to create and manage grade objects and exchange scores and instructor comments. AGS includes additional capabilities two-way gradebook integration, where the LTI tool can request updates to grade values linked to the tools Assignments; allowing the Brightspace gradebook and tool to stay in sync.
- Names and Roles Provisioning Services v2.0: The service that allows the LTI tool to request a list of participants in a course offering in a safe and secure fashion. Typically used to repopulate the classlist in the tool.
- Deep Linking 2.0: A replacement for Content Item Message (CIM) service. Provides an intuitive way to add content from a publisher directly into Brightspace content, creating a seamless learner experience.
Comparing LTI Advantage and LTI Advantage Complete
LTI Advantage receives a badge from IMS Global when a tool certifies their integration against the IMS certification suite using LTI 1.3 and one or two of the available extensions. If the certification is completed with LTI 1.3 and all optional tool extensions, the LTI Advantage Complete badge is awarded.
LTI Advantage features
- Updated administrative workflows, including a new process to register and deploy a tool, aiming to reduce and simplify where tools can be created in the org, providing LTI administrators better visibility of tool usage and location.
- Better control over which extensions can be implemented, not only during the registration process but also during deployment, allowing LTI administrators to determine if extensions can be implemented independently or grouped together based on your organization's needs.
- Assignment and Grade service:
- Support multiple grade items linked to the same LTI link, removing the need for the LTI tool to use Brightspace APIs to support this workflow
- Support for comment pass back from tool to the Brightspace gradebook.
- Support for the tool to request updated grades from the Brightspace gradebook to keep the tool in sync
- Anonymous launch support for simple LTI launches that do not require context.
- Deep Linking:
- Support for optional start, end and due dates that can be applied at the content level
- Updated IMS Configuration UI
- Support for both Institutional and Contextual role passing. Allowing the tool to know the user’s role at both the Organization level, as well as their role at the org where the activity was launched.
LTI Advantage Service User
LTI Advantage uses a D2L generated role and user to log all LTI grade activity against. This new role and user are used in all LTI Advantage tools and is generated at initial tool registration.
If the role or user is accidently disabled, D2L auto-generates either the missing user or role the next time the tool is registered.
The role D2L creates has no permissions, and cannot be seen in classlists.
The role is limited to the LTI Advantage scopes that the LTI administrator has enabled at the Registration and Deployment level for the specific tool.
If the user is disabled, logging of actions still occurs.
- Familiarize yourself with LTI Advantage:
- Review LTI tools and their compatibility with LTI Advantage
- Start socializing LTI Advantage with your course developers and faculty