Administering Self-Serve Analytics
Self-Serve Analytics hosting requirements
The Brightspace Data Platform uses Amazon Web Services™ (AWS) for data storage. Data is hosted in the same region as your LMS.
Self-Serve Analytics permissions
|Permission Category||Permission||Permission level||Allows users to||Affected reports|
|Insights||See Insights Portal Tool||Organization||Access the Insights Portal page||
|Can Use Self-Serve Analytics||Organization||
Launch Self-Serve Analytics
Have reports shared with them
Creates user as a viewer
|Can Manage Self-Serve Analytics||Organization||
Activate Self-Serve Analytics
Note: When granting access to SSA, it can take up to 1 hour for the new user to be added.
Self-Serve Analytics roles
By default, each organization has the ability to define 2 author users. Any user with an organization level role with the Can Use Self-Serve Analytics permission can become an author by being set up by an administrator with the Can Manage Self-Serve Analytics permission. These authors do not need to have the same role. Additional author licenses can be purchased.
To add, modify, or remove an author, go to the Insights Portal, click on Self-Serve Analytics, and locate the Manage Users page. When you add a new author, they receive a notification in their navbar, and also by email, if that option was selected.
Authors can see all visualization templates, data sets, and data flow templates. They can also see all the visualizations their fellow author(s) have built. Visualizations in SSA are called “cards” which can exist on “pages” or “dashboards”.
Authors are able to:
- View their curated onboarding tutorial on the Quick Start for Authors dashboard.
- View card templates on the Templates dashboard.
- View data flow templates in the Data tab with the Template tag.
- View all data sets in the Data tab with the associated BDS version.
- Create new data flows with existing data sets.
- Create groups in Admin Settings.
- Add existing users to groups.
- Create and modify cards.
- Create scheduled reports and configure alerts.
- Share cards, pages, and dashboards with users or groups.
- Embed cards into other systems.
- Export data to use offline.
- View DomoStats Activity Log dashboard to understand the usage of SSA for their organization.
Authors are not able to:
- Edit or delete raw data sets.
- Upload additional data sets.
- Add new users via SSA. Users must be added through Roles and Permissions in Brightspace.
Any user with an organization level role with the Can Use Self-Serve Analytics permission is automatically a viewer. When launching SSA, a viewer sees any reports, dashboards and visualizations that are explicitly shared with them as an individual or as a result of their presence in an SSA defined group.
Viewers are able to:
- View their curated onboarding tutorial on the Quick Start for Viewers dashboard.
- Review cards and pages that have been shared with them.
- Schedule reports and configure alerts to be emailed to users.
- Interact with cards and pages that have been shared with them (filter, drill, export, etc).
Viewers are not able to:
- Create cards or pages.
- Access raw data sets or data flows.
- Share visualizations with other users.