Brightspace Data Sets
Brightspace Data Sets contain raw, user-level data from Brightspace Learning Environment, and can be combined with other Advanced Data Sets and Brightspace Data Sets to provide administrators with the maximum flexibility in aggregating and filtering the data specific to their needs.
To analyze and report on the data, administrators can download the following data extracts:
- Full Data Sets
Full data sets are complete extracts of historical data, refreshed weekly. While full data sets contain a complete view of historical data, they result in large data extracts, taking longer to download.
- Differential Data Sets
Differential (diff) data sets contain the differences (diffs) of the data that has been updated or inserted in the previous day, and refreshed daily. Daily diffs result in smaller and more up-to-date data extracts, making it faster for administrators to download and process the data.
Note the following about differential data sets:
- To prevent data gaps, updated data sets include some overlap. For example, an updated data set may contain rows from the last few minutes of the previous hour and the next few minutes of the next hour.
- Only inserts or updates display, including updates to existing Is_Deleted columns.
- Only updates on first-class data display. For example, the Quiz Attempts data set displays additional attempts; however, updates to the QuizName field do not display.
- With the 10.7.10 release, all existing clients that are actively using Brightspace Data Sets will have 6 months to transition from using daily full data sets to daily differential data sets. Once the 6 months have elapsed, daily full data sets become weekly full data sets, refreshing data on a weekly basis.
For administrators with high-frequency reporting needs, clients can purchase an add-on for the Data Hub tool that refreshes specific Brightspace Data Sets on an hourly basis. The add-on is available to AWS-hosted Brightspace Insights and Brightspace Core clients only.
Note the following exceptions about Brightspace Data Sets:
- The Content User Progress, Discussion Post Read Status, Discussion Posts, Quiz User Answer Responses, Quiz User Answers, Session History, User Logins data sets are limited to 3 years of data (all of the previous two calendar years and the current calendar year to date).
- The differentials for Quiz User Answer Responses, Session History, and User Logins are also limited to 3 years of data (all of the previous two calendar years and the current calendar year to date).
- All other Brightspace Data Sets adhere to the default system limit to return 150 million rows of the most recent data.