Document Conversion Service
The Document Conversion Service converts documents uploaded to the Content tool, Assignments tool, Brightspace Learning Repository, Lessons, or Brightspace ePortfolio into PDFs, which display inline in the tool or product. This service is enabled by default and cannot be disabled.
Documents are converted during upload instead of during user access, which reduces wait times when rendering documents to users.
Valid file types include: .ppt, .pps, .pptx, .ppsx, .doc, .docx, .rtf, .odt, .odp, .xls, .xlsx.
Converted documents display as inline PDFs in the tool or product. If an uploaded document is an invalid file type, it fails to convert and render in the tool or product.
When users download documents, they are saved in their native file formats.
One instance per region. The Document Conversion Service is enabled by default and currently resides in the following AWS locations:
- U.S. East (N. Virginia)
- Canada Central (Montreal)
- Asia Pacific (Sydney)
AWS EU (Ireland)
AWS Asia Pacific (Singapore)
A call from the Brightspace platform is routed to the appropriate region based on its geographic location using the Amazon Route 53 DNS web service. Currently, Canadian servers are routed to Canada Central, Australian servers to Asia-Pacific, and all others default to U.S. East.
- Depends on the Authentication Service
- Depended on by the Content tool, Assignments tool, Brightspace Learning Repository, Lessons, or Brightspace ePortfolio
Uploaded documents and converted PDFs are stored in AWS S3 and cleaned up every 180 days. There is no long-term storage.
How the Service Works
- User uploads a document to the Content tool, Assignments tool, Brightspace Learning Repository, Lessons, or Brightspace ePortfolio.
- The Brightspace platform sends the file to the Document Conversion Service for conversion.
- The service converts the file to a PDF, which is stored in AWS S3.
- A link to the PDF file is returned to the Brightspace platform for display in the tool or product.
- After 180 days, the uploaded document and converted PDF are deleted.